Sunday, March 24, 2013

Making, watching, reading ...

Here is what I've been making, watching and reading!

MEALS MADE IN OUR NEW CROCK POT
I'm now working from The Vegan Slow Cooker because I'm assuming that a crock pot can only make our lives easier. I've yet to find the knock-out recipe in this book, but I've tried two things.


Weekend Tofu and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole: This mix of hash browns, fake cheese, coconut milk, bouillon, tofu, and spices is how I broke in my new crock pot. It was deese, better when I popped it in the microwave to further heat. I think it's supposed to taste like a cheesy eggs mix and it kind of did. Sprinkle with paprika.

Mashed Potato and Edamame Burrito Filling: A bunch of veggies simmer in a stew of hot salsa and water and then it gets wrapped in a tortilla shell and stuffed into a face. It's okay. So okay that I didn't even take a photo.

RANDOM CAT PHOTO
READING

Norwegian Wood (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage International) by Haruki Murakmi: A college aged boy reflects on a year of his life where he was captivated by two very different women. Now with more hilariously uncomfortable sex scenes. This is second-tier Murakami, which is where stuff that isn't "Windup Bird Chronicle" is ranked. Better than the average book; Not as good as Murakami at his best. Won't monkey with your dreams.

Full review here.

I Remember Nothing: And Other Reflections (Vintage) by Nora Ephron: Cute, hokey. A collection of hit-or-miss essays by the queen of rom-coms.

Full review here.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cakeby Aimee Bender: Oh holy heck. This novel is so so so great. A young girl can taste emotions in the food she eats. That's cool when she's eating vending machine fare, but it's pretty unsettling when she bites into her mother's food and finds it overwhelmed with depression (or ecstatic with a new secret relationship).

Full review here.

Manhattan, when I Was Young by Mary Cantwell: Longtime fashion magazine writer turned New York Times columnist writes about her life in New York City in the 1950s and 1960s in a really gooey, underbelly of the scab kind of way.

Full review will be here.


WATCHING

Argo I liked it. Although it tested my suspense button. I almost lost my mind.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower If I saw this and it was 2003 I would immediately go out and buy the movie. It's exactly something I'd want to watch repeatedly on weekends while hungover. As is, I just really liked it and it made me cry really hard. I think I liked it more than the book. Gasp.

Romancing the Stone  Have you ever noticed that the more time Kathleen Turner spends squealing down mudslides and traipsing through outback Colombia, the better her hair begins to look? True story.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I think I might have liked the 'Perks' movie better than the book too. I remember really liking the book when I read over a dozen years ago, but I don't recall it being as heart-tugging as the movie, which made me bawl too.

Christa said...

A person's innards could collapse during that movie.