Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stick it ...


I guess I knew in theory that cake pops existed but today I finally tried one. Best. Idea. Ever. Although it would be better if they were like those colorful swirl suckers the size of a human face. This was Tiramisu flavored (with a decorative labia) and it was all I'd hoped and more.

Anyway, no new interesting recipes discovered this week, just movies everyone has already seen and books.

MOVIES
Beetlejuice: Say it with me: "My parents wouldn't let me watch this when it came out." Geena Davis and Mini Alec Baldwin die, but return to their house to live as ghosts. When an awful couple and their emo teen Winona Ryder move in, the couple solicits the help of Bettlejuice to scare the newbies away. It is very fun to watch this and repeat "Oh, Michael Keaton, quit embarrassing yourself." 

Mean Girls: It has been a deceptively long time since this movie about a mean posse of high school girls was released. How long? Long enough that I forgot Lindsay Lohan was the lead and had substituted Emma Stone into the starring role in my mind. 

After a "Beetlejuice" to "Mean Girls" marathon, Chuck said we could only watch movies that feature women who had gone to jail.

Bridesmaids: I really didn't have any intention of seeing this, then I got a little interested, then I got super interested but didn't have a way to watch it. THEN I remembered we still have a single local video store, so I got a membership mostly just so I could watch it. 


I like the kind of humor. Sometimes it's jabby pokey humor, but a lot of times its this low buzz of dry humor that I totally dug. 

The Descendants: George Clooney runs funny. 

BOOKS
Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield: This is a good story about an anonymous woman's death and a recent high school grad's summer of uncertainty. 

Full review will be here.

Kitchen  by Banana Yoshimoto: It's not so much "Kitchen" that I enjoyed, but the extra mini novella that is included in the package. That gave me something close to Murakami fever. 

Full review will be here.


How Should a Person Be?: A Novel from Life by Sheila Heti: This is a novel from real life about a woman seeking the answer of how to be, while hiding from the play she is writing and recording the quirky conversations she has with friends, especially a painter named Margeaux, who she is attached to especially hard. 

Full review will be here.

No comments: