Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cuchi-cuchi ...

My friend Lil Latrell invited me to go on a cruise for five days in June. Before we were even off the phone I had us both in sarongs tucked in between an elderly couple from Omaha, part of a record-setting conga line. The umbrellas from our drinks behind our ears.

Two stops in the Bahamas, Key West, something billed as a "Fun Day at Sea."

I tried to remember where I stood on a full head of braids. Tacky or necessary given the circumstances?

I'm not really a cruise person, which was what made it even better. We would completely off-road from my wish list of life experiences. She won't be coming here this summer for her annual trip, so it would be a good way to still hang out.

Fun fact: Given the opportunity I would not snorkel. I might swim with dolphins. I'd definitely ride a jet ski.

I'd have to brush up on "Love Boat" so I'd have a whole arsenal of Dr. Stubing jokes.

Less than 24 hours later I realized I couldn't leave the continental United States on those particular days.  I had to say no to life. Bummed.

Anyway. Here is what I made, watched, got stuck in my brain and read this past week.

MEALS MADE IN OUR KITCHEN

Red Lentil Quinoa Soup: I had no idea that you could mix lentils and quinoa. The world has just opened up to me. This mushy soup -- think oatmeal -- is a mix of lentils, quinoa, tomatoes and coconut milk. Apply salt lick. This was a nice comfort food.



Potato and Cauliflower Burritos: Oh, look. Another way to make burritos! This time we blend fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic and a chipotle pepper and then stew it up with an onion and a potato and mix with cooked brown rice. Slap the mess into a tortilla, sprinkle with an appropriate flavor of Daija cheese.


Creamy Curry Macaroni Salad: Oh! It's like a picnic, but with Nayonaise. I like this cold pasta salad with fresh red pepper and peas and hints of curry. Enjoy with a garden burger and a YouTube documentary about a serial rapist from Tokyo!

TV MARATHON
Dawson's Creek - The Complete First Season: Why yes. I did spend Memorial Day Weekend watching upward of 20 episodes of "Dawson's Creek." So what if you had a picnic. I hate outside.

Has anyone ever noticed how much Mrs. Leery looks like Charo?
Mrs. Leery says: "Mitch, quit working your glamour muscles. I have to tell you something. I'm banging my co-anchor!"

Charo says: "Cuchi-cuchi!" 

OH FOR THE LOVE OF BRAINS
Last Saturday I caught part of an episode of "RadioLab" on public radio and the topic was loops, which included a story about this sketch comedy bit that includes Kristen Schall. Days later, this is still stuck in my head. In order to exorcise it, I have to share it. Otherwise I'll end up waking up for the rest of my life with my first thoughts being "KRISTEN SCHALL IS A HORSE" said in a distorted and cracked voice.

For you, my loves. Enjoy. Pass it on.



NOW WITH MORE VIDEOS
While I'm all hopped up on this true crime book about the murder of a British girl who moved to Tokyo to make money as a hostess in a bar and then was murdered by this crazed psychopath I found this 45 minute documentary about the case on YouTube -- which we can stream on TV through TiVo. It's a bit of a spoiler, since I didn't know how it all ends. Totally fascinating documentary about this awful awful case.



READING
Spaniel Rage by Vanessa Davis: This is a collection of drawings as journal entries finished (and not) between 2003-04. It's like blogging. But on paper. With a real-live pencil. I totally dig Vanessa Davis (I also read "Make me a Woman." This one preceded it and is a fun stroll through a year of: 1. Wondering if her roommate is wearing her underwear; 2. Dance parties; 3. Temper tantrums; 4. Boys.

I totally liked it. You can read my review here.

The Submission: A Novel by Amy Waldman: A jury works to blindly choose a 9/11 memorial from a bunch of submissions. It selects an enclosed garden complete with canals only to find it was created by an American born, non-practicing Muslim. Shit storm follows.

The perspectives in this book and the chain of events is very thorough and realistic.

Full review will be here.


No comments: