Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Nothing, only nothing ...

Nothing shines a light on how little I accomplish week to week than this here list, and how when I make it I sit here and think: "Well, shit. What did I do last week besides make delicious meals and read books?"

Nothing, obvs.

In other news, here is what I made, watched and read this past week. But first, a picture of me and Princess Linda at brunch.



HOW IT ALL STARTED IN THE KITCHEN

Potato Leek Soup with Sweet Fennel: Another day, another potato soup recipe. This one with a fennel kick to it. I love potato soup. I like how you can throw inexpensive things into a pot and have it turn into something hearty and edible. It thrills my inner "How to Make Stone Soup" person. Anyway, I left the skin on the potatoes -- because I'm starting an anti-peeling movement -- and I added nutritional yeast. Lots.


Reuben Sandwiches in a slow cooker with Tofu Corned Beef: Sometimes I think it is interesting to see a meal that would traditionally take milliseconds to make and have the process elongated just for fun. Like these Tofu Reuben sandwiches. Tofu marinates in a mix of seasonings in a slow cooker for hours and hours. Meanwhile, a gourmet-style Thousand Island dressing is made using mayonnaise, ketchup, capers, pickles and seasonings. Then the whole thing is put on rye bread and it tastes so freaking good. It's not hard, it just takes a long time because of the marinating process.

BEEN READING
Emma Straub is my 2012 Miranda July. The author of "Other People We Married" is just so fun to be a fan of right now. Here she writes about selling merch on the Magnetic Fields' tour and does things like describe SXSW as "the juggernaut music festival that turns the entire city into a beer-and-taco-stained pair of jeggings." Jodi has accused me of having a crush on Emma Straub. Guilty.

MOVIES
Melancholia: This movie is terrifying. It's told in two parts: In the first half it is Justine's wedding day and the new bride is all smiles and kisses until the couple gets to the reception and her mental illness starts to flare. Justine keeps ducking out of the festivities to nap with her nephew, walk the grounds of the golf course, take a bath. Her sister tries to corral her; Her new husband apologizes for not taking care of her; her boss desperately wants her to come up with a tag line for an ad the company is working on. In the second half, Justine is steeped in depression. She's emaciated and weakened, pale. She goes to stay with her sister on this expanse of land. Meanwhile, a planet called Melancholia is on a path to collide with earth and it's making everything a little wonky. The resident astronomer assures the family that it won't hit, but. Gah, I loved this movie. For all the horror movies in the world, there is nothing more terrifying than something that cannot be outrun or hidden from. You might lose feeling in your legs waiting for impact.

Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and the Magnetic Fields: There is about three square inches of Stephin Merritt's face that looks like Chuck's face. It's very interesting. Anyway, this is a decade-in-the-making documentary of the Magnetic Fields. It was interesting. But, seriously, the scenes where Claudia and Stephin are working on music almost made me hyperventilate and just reminded me of how much I hate collaborating on anything. Eeps.

QUITE BOOKISH
Carry the One: A Novelby Carol Anshaw: A group of friends/family in the 20 years following a shared tragedy. This book had to be ripped from my cold, dead hands when I was done reading it. I wasn't ready to be done with it yet.

Full review here.

Forgotten Country by Catherine Chung: Since childhood, Janie has been charged with watching over her little sister. When Hannah moves to California, their dad is diagnosed with cancer, and the rest of the family moves back to Korea, all sisterly hell breaks loose.

Full review will be here.

Darkness Visible by William Styron: The writer behind "Sophie's Choice" talks about his go-round with depression.

Full review will be here.

THAT PESKY 2012 RESOLUTION
And ... done. (For this month)

Something old: "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins
Something new: "Carry the One" by Carol Anshaw
Something from the library: "There But for The" by Ali Smith
Something graphic: "Tina's Mouth" by Kashni Kashyap

No comments: