Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The dooker ...

SO FRIENDLY HERE!
This happened to me at the grocery store today.
Me: (unloading my basket) Aw, nuts. I forgot coffee.
Cashier: Oh! That's okay. You can just run back and grab some.
Me: Oh, no no. That's okay. Well. ... Are you sure?
Cashier: Yes. It's okay because you just asked me, instead of just telling me that you were going back for coffee.
Me: Is it so annoying if I do that, though?
Cashier: And it's extra okay because you just asked if it was annoying.
(Go get coffee. Grab pre-packed bag instead of using bulk)
Me: Since you were so cool about letting me go back, I just got pre-packaged instead of filling a bag.
Cashier: Thank you. These are whole bean. Now do you have a way to grind them?
Me: Yes.
Cashier: Because I have a friend who got whole bean and had to grind them using a hammer and a bath towel. She was like 'It was okay, no big deal.'

In other news: Here's what I watched and read this past week. Such a slim week of *things*.

MOVIES
Some Like It HotThe original Bosom Buddies. This movie is a riot, with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon as dudes on the lam from the mafia, masquerading as women in an all-girl band. Marilyn Monroe is the breathy Sugar, always in trouble for something involving booze, and making the boys all google-y.

CONVO
Me: What are these little seeds?
Chuck: Those are flax seeds.
Me: What do they do?
Chuck: They make you take a giant dooker.

BEEN READING
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson: Winterson tells her life story, some of which has appeared in fictional accounts, in this story of cutting lose from her adoptive mother and finding her birth mother.

Full review will be here.

Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary by Kshni Kashyap, illustrated by Mari Araki: This is a cute story about a 15-year-old girl who is keeping a comic journal to get the root of who she is and who she is becoming.

But, it's not going to light you on fire. It's pretty safe and easy and teeming with the sorts of teen cliches that make so many teen movies forgettable.

Full review will be here.

READING THE INTERNET/TRENDING
Right now I'm really obsessed with how no one won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction this year, so I'm reading everything I can about it. As Jodi pointed out to me today: We were right. 2011 was a bummer year in fiction. (To which I had to look at what my favorite reads were last year ... a list of things mostly not published in 2011). My gut opinion is that if that committee didn't think any of the three titles offered up by the jury members were good enough, then shrug. Maybe "Swamplandia" (which I've admittedly not read) is no "Goon Squad," (which I have and is one of my all-time favorites) winner in 2010. Of course, the more reading I do, the more this opinion twists and morphs and waxes and wanes and returns to where I started. Now: I just think it's an interesting curiosity.

This piece by Laura Miller of Salon is the best thing I've read so far and b) Conversations generated by this non-win might be just as good for Karen Russell, author of "Swamplandia" as winning. There has not been a no winner for fiction in the era of social media. So. It should be interesting.


2 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh, I really don't like Laura Miller's speculation that the Pullitzer board is too busy to read literature that is not required by their job. Are you kidding me?

Christa said...

It's not the summation that I'm into, it's more the comprehensive explanation of how it all works. That anyone can submit their book (for a fee) and that it's two-tiered, which I knew, but I thought she explained well.

Sometimes I miss the forest for the trees. I get all hopped up on reading something and like what I like and miss the bigger part of it. I should have mentioned that.