Monday, March 26, 2012

Stay tuned ...

We have now come to the part of the year where every day I wonder if I'm finally going to again run the half-marathon in June. If so, a training person would have started training on Saturday. I did not. In fact, at some point on Saturday it became impossible to distinguish where my own skin ended and the couch began. Of course this is all the more reason to start training for a half-marathon. Stay tuned.

FOODS
Bow Tie Pasta with Red Bell Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, and Garlicky Cashew Cream Sauce: This was a big adventure, my first shot at using nuts to make a "cheesy" sauce. I totally loved this. The sauce is powdered cashews mixed with hot sauce and water and lots of garlic, which is added to a pan with the pasta and peppers and tomatoes, then topped with basil and fresh tomatoes.

I'll totally make this again.

MOVIES
Persona: Hard to say exactly what the hell unfolds in this one, a mid-1960s movie by Ingmar Bergman in which an actress shows up in a ward after having some sort of episode while on stage that rendered her speechless and giggle-filled. She goes away to a beach house with a private nurse, who uses her silence to reveal all sorts of deep darks. This movie is filled with all sorts of uncomfortable chatter and it kind of lulls you into a weird trance. You will see it as the roots of "Mullholland Drive."

All About Eve: Holy Crap. I have a new favorite movie. Every once in awhile it feels like the universe really wants you to watch something. It throws the title in front of your eyeballs again and again and then brings it up in conversation repeatedly until finally you just have to suck it up and watch your new favorite movie.

Betty Davis as an aging theater star. She takes in a young super fan who begins studying her and slowly taking over different elements of her life and eventually connives her way onto the stage as an understudy. Zowie! This movie is terrif. The writing is incredible and funny and the acting is whoa.

A Chorus Line: All dance movies remind me of my mom. According to my scattered memories, it would seem that all we did is sit on her bed and watch dance movies, including this one. Also: At some point when I was in dance classes some other class performed choreography to the song "One." So this movie about a bunch of people trying out for a chorus line is like a super weird and trippy flashback. Also: This has the "Trapeze Swinger" effect of making me cry without reason.

Breathless: Well, isn't this a whacky romp through 1960s France. Our hero-ish person is on the lam after offing a cop and he's checked in with a young American (Jean Seberg) while he tries to collect on money owed and scoot on out of town. She's got her own stuff going on and isn't sure she wants to take up with him and he gives her the hard and not so sexy sell. THIS IS SUCH A WEIRD MOVIE! But I liked it, although I hated the male lead. He skeeved me out.

A Streetcar Named Desire: You know, I love this movie. And Marlon Brandon, blah blah blah. But man is it annoying. It took three sittings to get through it and gah, Blanche Dubois. Shut it already.

ONE ACT PLAY
Chuck: What's for dinner?
Me: Chick. N.
Chuck: That stuff with the salsa?
Me: Uh huh. Is that cool.
Chuck: Yep.
Me: Is that a hint?
Chuck: I wouldn't hint, I'd just point.

THINGS I'M TOTALLY INTO THIS WEEK
Pauline Kael
Mikhail Baryshnikov
Vita Coco

BOOKS
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy: This is the sort of "it" book of the past two weeks, an S&M fit of, I don't know, chick lit I guess that has a bunch of ladies in a furious tizzy. It's crap, but I doubt I've ever enjoyed writing a review more.

Check it out here.

Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Sonby Anne Lamott: This is Anne Lamott being Anne Lamott, but this time in the face of becoming a grandmother when her son Sam, subject of "Operating Instructions," has a son. The book, which is kept journal style, doesn't have many surprises. It won't knock the socks off new readers of Lamott and it won't jangle any of the old ones either. Same old same old. Which can be good, stable and consistent or a trip to dullsville. You decide.

Full review will be here.

PART OF A BOOK THAT ROCKED MY SOCKS
"One thing I learned from Pauline (Kael) was that when something hits you that high and hard, you have to be able to travel wherever the point of impact takes you and be willing to go to the wall with your enthusiams and over it if need be, even if you look foolish or "carried away," because your first shot at writing about it may be the only chance to make people care." It's better to be thumpingly wrong than a muffled drum with a measured beat."

-- James Wolcott, "Lucking Out"

READING RESOLUTION
Pre-Owned: "Some Assembly Required" by Anne Lamott
New: "Wild Thing" by Josh Bazell
Graphic: "My Friend Dahmer" by Derf Backderf
Library: "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick Dewitt

6 comments:

feisty said...

Who needs to train to run a half? You could do it with half te training and still finish with a decent time, I bet. You know you want to...

I alwys love finding more books to add to my growing list of things I should read once I'm getting more than an hour or two of sleep at a time. I love that Mn reads website and hope it never goes away.

Beret said...

I'm coming to town to run the half, you should run it too. :)

Christa said...

Or I could just cheer you on ... :)

Christa said...

Feisty -- I vowed to never run a half again without training. It's too embarrassing. And ouch. Are you running this year?

PS: I love that website, too.

feisty said...

If I ever had time to train, I would be using it to MF sleep. So, no. Not training nor running the half.

Christa said...

Word. I'm a stronger advocate of sleep than I am an advocate of running.