Friday, February 17, 2012

Mozza-what-who? ...

I have to blame this on the internet because the other answer is too horrifying for me to consider: Google has broken my brain.

Today I couldn't remember what Mozzarella was called. I could see it in my head. I could imagine it's texture and taste. I knew that I was searching for the name of a cheese that is a) not rare; b) possible to make in the comfort of your own home. I believed I was searching for the name of an Italian cheese.

The spot were the word "Mozzarella" lives in my head was empty. Like the word had left a handwritten sign in the window that said "Back in 5 Minutes" and was now lying in a hospital bed in a coma. I Googled "white cheese." Then I Googled "white cheese ball." All of this gave me plenty of ideas for my next Super Bowl party, but did not give me the word Mozzarella. It was only later, standing in front of a display of it at the grocery store, that I was able to remember the word.

What does Google have to do with this? I think I've stopped recording the sorts of information that I can find online. And I've begun erasing unnecessary data. This is like the beginning of a sci/fi nightmare, which I prefer to the scarier answers: "Medical Emergency" or "Age-Related Mental Decline."

1 comment:

Sproactually said...

I know this ANSWER!!! You have dirty extents.. there was a fix for that in....

Wait, your not a DS/8800 disk storage array where you data is made up of extent pools.

You have CRS. Can't remember shit.

(And yes, we called them dirty extents and it was a real bug.)