Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Don't you own any gloves ...

Howdy rowdies. Just chilling here in my robe waiting for this snowstorm. I need a snowstorm, friends. I need the x-treme sportness of it. I want it to dump huge and I want it to dump hard. I want to open the front door and not know where the snow piles end and the sky begins. I want frozen nose hairs and for people to say "DON'T YOU OWN ANY GLOVES?!"

I didn't know I liked winter until we kept not having winter.

In other news, here is what I made, watched, read and whatevered this past week.

MAKING FOODS

Hummus and Olive Pizza with Socca Crust: Well. This was certainly fun and easy and good and really jazzed up Mediterranean Night at our house. Usually we just have hummus, couscous, pita and a mix of veggies. I made this instead of getting pita and loved it. The Socca Crust is like the consistency of the bread at Ethiopian restaurants and it's made from chickpea flour, water and garlic. Baked, add hummus and olives. Bake more. Celebrate Mediterranean Night!


Pizza Quinoa Casserole: I used this recipe for the base, then added in some soy sausage, black olives and tomatoes to add to the pizza-ness of this pizza casserole. I liked it. Once again, it had that hearty hangover food-ness to it.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Gross. I just got your robe in my mouth." -- Chuck, after getting my robe in his mouth.

MOVIES
The Artist: I don't know if this is unique to the audience that saw this at the same time as me or not, but no one laughed out loud. It was like: Silent movie, silent laugh shake. Super weird and deserving of a psychological study. Anyway, I liked it. I thought it was really clever and fun. Although my favorite parts weren't silent at all. Huh.

MOVIES ABORTED
River's Edge: Crispin Glover forgets the meaning of subtlety in acting and lays it on obnoxiously in this story of a dude who kills his girlfriend, then brings bunches of friends to the dead, naked body to show them what he did. Glover's character thinks this is a good time for the friends to band together to spare the killer from ruining his life.

On the positive side: I really liked Keanu Reeves' jeans in this movie.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: Is the part where Indiana Jones fights off a bunch of men in a balloon drop, jumps out a window behind a rolling bullet proof decoration, lands on three awnings and then gets whisked away by getaway car, jumps into airplane then jumps out of an airplane with two other passengers and a life raft the most exciting moving in any movie or what?! (Then I fell asleep).

NEIGHBORLY MOMENT
"I'll remember to mention you in my prayers," our 80-something neighbor through his car window as Chuck shoveled his sidewalk.

BOOKS
My Antoniaby Willa Cather: I wish this book would have been called, "My Lena Lingard."

Full review will be here.

The Complete Maus: A Survivor's Tale By Art Spiegelman: Art Spiegelman goes double duty, telling the story of his father, a Holocaust survivor, and the story of his shaky relationship with his father.

Full review will be here.


PISTA FAMILY HISTORY
Great Grandma VH was from Altura, Minn., and a very good dancer -- perhaps a professional. "Burlesque? Cabaret?" I asked my mom. "Maybe a flapper," she said. Later, when she met the suave and lean and Dutch Great Grandpa VH, they really got into square dancing, costumes and all. For awhile they owned a trailer company on what felt like the out-skirts of town, but was really closer to town than my parents live now -- which is still in town.

Great Grandma VH was hugely into bird watching. She used to sit in her backyard and shoot BBs at the pigeons that she believed were scaring away the songbirds. She didn't hit them, she just tried to scare them away.

TRENDING
My new favorite TV show is MTV's super-clever "I Just Want My Pants Back," a sort of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" meets "Reality Bites" show for whatever 20-somethings in today-land are called. The writing is ridiculously funny. These weirdly employed or not kids Janeane Garofalo-ing one punny quote-worthy colorful bit of dialogue after another.

I feel the same amount of enthusiasm for this show as I did for "The Real World" its first season. It's a hit.

2012 READING RESOLUTION
In case anyone is wondering how I'm doing on my New Year's Reading Resolution, I'm doing terrif! I'm even surpassing my goals of reading every month something I already own, something from 2012, something from the library and a graphic novel. Here are the deets:

January
Something Old: Underworld by Don Delillo
Something New: Growgirl by Heather Donahue
Something Borrowed: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
Something Graphic: Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba

February
Something Old: The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Something New: Stay Awake by Dan Chaon
Something Borrowed: The Adults by Alison Espach
Something Graphic: The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman


1 comment:

feisty said...

Your record of Chuck comments always cracks me up.