Sunday, October 16, 2011

Now with fewer entrails ...

Oh for crying out loud. Here it is the middle of October and I've just now finished watching my first scary movie of the season and I'm nowhere near any sort of reading that describes entrails dangling from a human being. What the. I'm embarrassed for myself. I'm really going to be feeling this in February when I realize I deprived myself of a good old fashioned month long fright fest.

Anyway. Here is what I made, movies I watched and books I read in the past what-say month or so.

FOODS
Easy Crock Pot Enchilada Casserole: I get a little skittish sometimes when I'm chucking pinches of both Italian and Indian seasonings into a vat. It's like: Pick a flavor profile, yo. But this turned out okay. Better than okay. I got to spend five minutes making a dinner that was magically ready to eat when Chuck woke up. One of greater instances of science: The corn tortillas become the consistency of cheez. I didn't take a picture of this one. But if you squinch your eyes real tight, I'm sure you can picture it.


Tempeh Helper: If you knew how much Hamburger Helper I used to eat, you would freak. What a blessed and inexpensive way sop up watery swill. So this recipe is a damn-fine spin on it, using Tempeh, a cheesy mix of Nutritional Yeast, Mustard and a few other things. Fun fact: I'm not sure I've mentioned this yet, but nutritional yeast has a the neon Rock Star effect on pee. True Story!)


Chik'n and Summer Vegetable Tostadas: This is just another one where we do what we do best: Put things on a tortilla. And as always it was good. Plus, I learned about Gardein Chick'n Scallopini, which is an exciting chicken-shaped non-meat that is much more visually appealing than Seiten. Liked it a lot.


Chickpea Frittata: I'm worthless at making real live frittatas, but this chickpea frittata was easy-peasy. Lots of veggies -- Broccoli, shallots and potato -- overlaid with a non-eggy egg-like mix made of tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, chickpeas -- covered with scallions and tomatoes and baked.


Roasted Tomato-Tabbouleh Soup: This is what we call "Hungry Soup." It's super good, roasted onions, tomatoes and garlic chopped in the food processor then mixed with some bulghur to give it a bit of heartiness. (About an hour later we had to eat again).

MOVIES
Scream  It felt real good to sit on the couch for 105 minutes and watch not-Friday Night Lights. This movie is brilliant in its super funniness, brutal killings and spook-o-meter.

BOOKS
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: All of the world is into OASIS, a virtual reality where you can play games or go to school. When the jillionaire inventor of the system dies, he leaves his dinero to whoever can find it in this online mess of planets and hiding places. A good good geek out with a 1980s soundtrack.

Full review here.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: This one is a YA, but totally worth reading even if you aren't a YA. The heir to a drug store dynasty sees his grandfather murdered by a supernatural something, gets wonky and goes to the island where he grandfather grew up to find out what the hizzo.

Full review here.

The White Album: Essays  by Joan Didion: Joan Didion considers the end of the 1960s in this short collection of essays. I like Joan Didion. Except for when she's writing about something I'm not interested in. Then I don't care about Joan Didion. This one has at least four essays I loved, though. So.

Full review will be here.

The Family Fang: A Novel by Kevin Wilson: This one-sitter is about a family of performance artists who have, for years, been performing grand scale public performances at a mall near you. Things get wonky when the adult children come home to recover from A) an online scandal and B) a temporarily disfiguring incident with a potato gun.

This is cute with a few Heh moments.

Full review will be here.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION
Friends. I love "Two Broke Girls." This is a back-to-basics retro sitcom right down to its polyester waitressing uniforms, laugh track, and the kind of jokes we wince at while watching Archie Bunker tee off in syndication. This is for all those latch key kids from 1983 who were babysit by Jack Tripper and Oatmeal Cream Pies. This is rabbit ears and a wrench-shaped channel changers. This is from when people who had VCRs were obviously rich.

It's created by Whitney Cummings, who is my favorite comedian. The only thing wrong with her is that she has a boring Twitter feed. But that's because she thinks of it as a marketing tool and not a place to test drive the funny.

The premise doesn't really matter because it's Kat Denning's deadpan and ability to rock punk rock lipstick that really makes it shine. But the idea is that Denning's character Max is a Brooklyn-ite cupcake maker scrounging up cash as a waitress and nanny. Then a former trustfunder enters her life, and bed, and brings her horse and it gets all Laverne and Shirley.



4 comments:

Jodi said...

I love Two Broke Girls too (even though the Asian restaurant owner is an ethnic stereotype so hard to watch it reminds me of when Mickey Rooney played Audrey Hepburn's landlord in Breakfast at Tiffanys). Really, I think I would watch Kat Dennings do just about anything, because I love her.

Christa said...

I was actually stunned about the restaurant owner the first time I watched it.

Something is up with contemporary TV. On American Horror Story, Jessica Lange's character refers to her child with Down's Syndrome as a "mongoloid."

Laurie said...

2 Broke Girls is by far my favorite new show this season. thought it was going to suck and now I love love love. But I find it funny that Whitney creates this show which is funny and I kind of hate her show cuz it's not.

Christa said...

On her Whitney-Whitney show, she seems to move her arms too much. It's very distracting. I've only watched half of an episode, though. Maybe she got over it. Maybe she's just better when Kat says her jokes.