Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Purple soup. Puuuurple soup ...

If I were to tell you how much pain I was in from mowing a lawn that is the size of an herb garden ...

So here are the new recipes I tried, movies I watched and books I read in the past oh-say-week-ish maybe more.

FOODS MADE HERE! AT OUR HOUSE! BY ME!

Red Wine and Kalamata Tempeh: This one from the cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" includes a marinade made of kalamata olives, dry red wine, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Soak steamed Tempeh in a bunch of it, then go nutso with a skillet, adding more marinade when it dries.

This is really flavorful. Like even the deadest of tongues would get it circulation back. It's got some zip to it.


Warm Leek and Bean Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette: I loved this. Saute some leeks, throw in some beans and herbs then add a mix of mustard, oil and vinegar. It's so good that I'm craving it right now, 24 hours after eating it. Although it doesn't make much. Enough for a light lunch or side dish.


Greek Style Tomato and Bean Stew: I used red cabbage to make this, so we had purple stew. I like it. It's one of those witches brews where I had no idea what it would taste like. It's a little bland and was better when I added Feta.

MOVIES
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired This is a documentary about Roman Polanski and the famous court case against him for doing sex things with a minor before fleeing the country. What I wanted was a documentary about the time the Manson family killed Polanski's wife Sharon Tate and tried to start a race riot.

Troll Hunter: Pure hooey. But hilarious when there is actual an troll confrontation. AND WE EVEN PAID HOMAGE TO IT WITH OUR OWN VERSION!

Friends with Benefits: I like Justin Timberlake. I think he's super not-embarrassing as a human being who is a celebrity. I like him in the same way that I like Jason Bateman. I actually think Jason Bateman is even less embarrassing. We can explore this more thoroughly on a slow day.

BOOKS
Stone Arabia: A Novel by Dana Spiotta: I really liked this short little novel about what we remember and how we're remembered and the fake rock history of an undiscovered rock star.

Full review is here.

When the Killing's Done: A Novel: This book took me 100 years to read, but it was worth it. TC Boyle is just so great. I loved the characters, even the hate-worthy characters.

Full review will be on Minnesota Reads. But I haven't written it yet, so don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

Mach1 said...

I want to be T.C. Boyle's groupie.