Monday, July 18, 2011

Dear 1990 ...

In the past few years I've had like a thousand chances to wonder what 15-year-old me would say if she knew when she was in her 30s she would (fill in the blank with something involving a band that had a heavy presence in my mix tape making). This past weekend I had three biggies:

Cracker, the Gear Daddies and the Suburbs. Admittedly I wasn't into the Suburbs as a teen. But if I'd have known about them I would have totally been into them. So, that one is retroactive.

Anyway. Super fun.

***

I'm declaring this week Vegan Fest 2011. I'm going to go 100 percent for the next seven days, or until I accidentally fall incisor-first into a chunk of cheddar. Usually I'm carnivore by day, vegan by night. I'm curious about how taxing it would be to just do it. I am not above sitting in the parking lot of the Little Store eating gas station pizza if things go south.

OTHER RANDOM NOTES
* I drank the perfect amount on Saturday night. Not enough to wake up with social shame, but enough to find photographs on my phone of my friend's fiance, shirtless save for my bra.
* I hate the word "Anyways." If I hear it, especially if I hear it more than once in the same conversation, it triggers my flight instinct.
* We've got some colorful new neighbors who seem ripe for fan-fiction. Suffice to say the pre-teen boy is destined to be saddled with unhealthy relationships starting the first time he finds himself in a tree fort with a female classmate.

FOODS

Greens and Quinoa Pie: This is a quiche-like mix of two kinds of greens, quinoa, onions and a splash of cheese. (I almost made the fatal error of forgetting the eggs. "I have no idea what this is going to taste like," I said to Chuck when I put it in the oven. It just didn't look like something I could imagine eating. Then, three minutes later, I remembered the eggs. Then I understood it better). It was okay.


Quinoa Puttanesca: We seem to have two flavor zones that rule the kitchen: The spicy beans and corn tortillas scene and the Olive, Capers scene. This is the later. It's basically quinoa with a Pasta Sauce.

Roasted Root Vegetable Burritos
On this day we took a mix of carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes, onions and some other things that grow in the ground and wrapped it in a wrap with tomatoes, avocado and arugula. There is a lot of roasting of root vegetables in this house, but the added wrap totally made it a different meal.

MOVIES
The Company Men: This movie starring Ben Affleck as a pink-slipped former worker who struggles to find a job in this economy was so stupid that I could feel my brain drizzling out of my ear.

Kaboom: I can barely remember what this movie was about, but it seemed to be a lot like a musical, except that instead of bursting into spontaneous song it would burst into diddling.

Following Sean: In the late 1960s the filmmaker was living in San Francisco and befriended the 4-year-old who lived in the apartment above him. The kid was a young son of hippies and is well-versed in weed smoking and what it feels like to run barefoot through the Haight. So the filmmaker tries to find that kid all these years later to find out if he became a stockbroker or a meth head. This is exactly okay. Interesting parts, but too much of the narrator's own life creeps into the story in really not interesting ways.

BOOKS
The London Train (P.S.) by Tessa Hadley: Paul’s mother has just died. She will continue to appear in his dreams. His of-age daughter Pia, from his first marriage, has dropped out of school and has hidden her pregnant self in an apartment in London with her older Polish boyfriend and his sister. Paul’s asshole neighbor is chopping down the trees in a gray area of property line limbo. When he and his wife get into a snit about how to handle the neighbor, Paul uses the argument as an emergency exit. He ditches out on domesticity — his sturdy upper crust wife who works in furniture restoration and their two young daughters — and takes the train into the city with plans to take care of Pia.

This was uneven. Full review here.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt: In one of the greatest instances of luck to ever rain on a writer with a bionic eye for detail and a canine sense for sniffing out bedazzled characters in absurd situations, journalist John Berendt just happened to be living in and jotting notes about Savannah, Georgia, in 1981 when one of the city’s largest looming residents shot his hot-head assistant to death.

I love this book so hard. Full review here.

My Sister's Continentby Gina Frangello: The good twin stayed close to her Chicago home. She found a nice, albeit taupe mate named Aris, whom she plans to marry. They live together in a little loft in Chicago. She has a college degree. She makes nice with her parents and is still malleable in their hands.

I really dug this book. Full review here.

A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion: A Novel by Ron Hansen: This is a total tabloid-y fictionalized account of a murder from the 1920s. It's pretty gooey and pretty fun.

Full review will be here.

2 comments:

Kate Bee said...

Question for you on "Midnight" - Have you ever seen the film? Because I loved the film, haven't read the book, would like to read the book but have held back because I wondered if it would be one of those "film better than book" situations.

Christa said...

I didn't watch the movie. I started to, but got distracted or whatever.

I will say this is like one of my favorite things I've read this year if that counts for anything. But I always love a little Cusack, so I can't say.