Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hipstamatic Saturday ...

On Saturday I decided to try a little lifestyle experiment in which I took a photograph every hour that indicated what I was up to at that exact second. There were a few reasons:

1. I wanted to know how I spend my time. I had my suspicions, but I wanted to know-know.
2. I thought this would make the day feel either longer or shorter, what with being interrupted by my alarm every waking hour.
3. I was a little bored of words.
4. I wanted to monkey around with the Hipstamatic app, so that marketers of the app could legitimately say that "everyone" in the world had tried it.

I didn't really make any rules for this project. Starting at 12:05 a.m. Saturday morning, I just began taking a photo, breaking only to get 11-plus gluttonous hours of sleep.

Here is what happened:

12:05 a.m.: Writing a monster blog post I'd been tinkering with for more than a month.

1:05 a.m.: Still writing, in my writing costume. (You can tell I'm keeping it real because I didn't move the tampons from the back of the toilet). Also, I'd worn this robe outside and chatted with some drunk neighbors with the intent of winning the Most Eccentric Neighbor 2011 Award. My competition plays driveway chess using Grand Ams.

2:05 a.m.: I took a time out to clean the kitchen. Cleaned-ish.

3:05 a.m.: Plopped down on the kitchen floor for a delicious snack of oysters, hot sauce and crackers.

4:05 a.m.: Watching the 1963 cult sci/fi movie "The Crawling Hand" on my laptop. It was hokey. But hokey in a delicious way where a hand crawls across a floor on its own free will and strangles a woman.

3:05 p.m.: Just sitting on the front porch.

4:05 p.m.: Trying to make more words. Stuck.

5:05 p.m.: Must leave house before I develop a nasty case of "The Shining."

6:05 p.m.: Scored a puffy chair at Barnes & Noble and for the first time in my life wondered if these chairs get bed bugs. Previewed a handful of books, and then couldn't turn any of them away. Like you idiots when you go to the animal shelter.

7:05 p.m.: Doh! Almost home again.

8:05 p.m.: Donzo. Finally.

9:05 p.m.: Dinner is dumplings with chickpea gravy and some sauteed spinach. As one would suspect, it's the nutritional yeast that really makes this dish.

10:05 p.m.: Chas goes apeshit on an unsuspecting pineapple.

11:05 p.m.: Is this the face of a project finisher or what?!

Lesson: I didn't learn anything I didn't know about myself.

No comments: