Sunday, June 26, 2011

Me neither! ...

Hello everyone in the world!

This past weekend I did more in two days than I ever do in an entire month. We went to a rhubarb festival where I ate a bratwurst slathered in rhubarb relish and had rhubarb and custard cake and received a good touch from a larger than life rhubarb shaped human.


Then we went to the Park Point Art Fair and developed a pretty solid design plan for our backyard. Details withheld to be coy.

Late in the evening we stopped by a birthday party at RTQ's and caught the tail end of The Acceleratii, who had incorporated laser beams into their raunchabilly set. Favorite moment: The front man yells "Who wants to hear more music, me neither!" Arms raised in the air, a sort of toddler stumble, then they immediately began playing another song.

Radzo was in the hizzo, but failed in her one job for the night: recording a conversation between our significant others about Sean Penn and Marky Mark and which one they would rather be touched by in a romantic way.

Chuck and I got all cranked on Red Bull and came home and ate the shit out of some eggless curry-flavored egg salad. It was nuts.

And then today we went to a matinee.

In other new: Here is what I made, watched and read this past week.

FOODS
Saucy Tempeh Curry: This is a sauce made of tomatoes, shallots, garlic and a mix of spices served with fried tempeh. This was quick and easy and decent. I'm not really a rice person, so we ate it on sauteed chard.

Quick Pesto with Broiled Tomatoes: Well for the love of yum. I know that in the summer tomatoes really stand alone and require no dressing up of any kind. But this! This is delicious. First you make a pesto using basil, pine nuts, oil, garlic and nutritional yeast. Then you smear it on some halved tomatoes. Then you sprinkle some panko breadcrumbs on the top and broil the whole mess for three, four minutes. Then you freak the fuck out. From Vegetarian Times.

Carrot Cake Quinoa Cereal: This was billed as tasting like carrot cake for breakfast. It's quinoa which is boiled in carrot juice, then mixed with a bunch of spices. It was scientifically interesting to me to make it using my own two feet.

Eggless Curried Egg Salad: This is quick and easy: Squash up some tofu, mix it with Veganaise, throw in some scallions, add some curry powder and Dijon mustard and make a sandwich. I used Lefse because I love Lefse.

Eggplant and Lentil Chili Mole with Corn and Scallion Cornbread: Chili in the summer? Pista, have you lost your ever-loving mind? Absolutely not. We're still running our furnace here. So this mixes green lentils and zucchini in a mole sauce. Good stuff. I made some corn bread to go with it, which is like normal corn bread except instead of sugar it uses agave and it included corn kernels and scallions. This was all quite good.

MOVIES
Midnight in Paris: Woody Allen's fan fiction about Paris in the 1920s is geeky, delicious fun. I giggled through the whole thing, especially every time Hemingway opened his mouth. Never since Bill & Ted, I tell you.

BOOKS
The White Devil: A Novel by Justin Evans: This follow up to Evan's debut novel "A Good and Happy Child," which I love love loved, is a little meh. It's a ghost story starring Lord Byron's high school boyfriend.

Full review will be here.

1 comment:

Mach1 said...

I tried to make rhubarb cake today. It was supposed to have streusel topping, but it turned out to be more like a brown sugar swamp - and I mean that in a bad way.