Monday, June 20, 2011

100 percent sugar full ...

FAQ
Q. Dear Pista: Did you run the Garry Bjorklund Half-Marathon this year? What was your time? Did you barf up jalapeno cheese doodles and Blue Sky Orange Cream soda on London Road?

A. No, I did not run the half marathon this year. Yes, I was entered. No, I wasn't feeling protective of my mortality, I just did not train at all and waking up at 4 a.m. to fail is a bad way to start the day. I bet my time would have been 2 hours, 40 minutes and that today it would hurt to blink.

Lil Latrell slid into town last Wednesday night after a 10 hour drive from Lawrence, Kansas, perched atop a pillow to prevent her butt bones from slicing through her skin.

On Thursday we had a little lunch party at Takk for Maten, where we all ate lefse-based foods and shot the shit. That night we had a pizza and potato chip party and watched a movie.

On Friday we went to this annual luncheon that we always go to, where our friend, a short man in a sweater vest with a good sense of humor, is the emcee of events. We got there late, per usual, and food had to be specially brought out to us. And then, of course, it was smothered in mushrooms. I subsisted on dessert.

Later in the day, Latrell surprised me with access to a dense chocolate cake with surprising hints of cherry. She had been wandering around downtown Duluth and ended up getting ambushed by a man dressed like Sasquatch, and -- according to her -- really committed to the part by also smelling like Sasquatch, too. That evening I went down to Canal Park to watch her compete in the 5K race, which she approached in a very casual way and took photographs along the 3-plus mile route. We spent the night sitting on the couch and watching the tube.

(This is Lil Latrell with Former Landlord and the Sweat Stain of Wonder).

We had a lazy Saturday. Brunch at the Duluth Grill then off to gather supplies for a party later that night. Latrell, a baker, made about 5 dozen mini cupcakes: Red Velvet with a chocolate coffee frosting and with traditional frosting, and some lemon cupcakes. Latrell has always been a dessert master, but she has really upped the ante.


Fun math: 5 dozen mini cupcakes, 14 people. Number of mini cupcakes left today: 0. I probably had at least 9.

S'Fire and VNick brought a Maple Fondue with things to put in it like strawberries or bread or my personal favorito: Smoked Gouda. This was so so awesome. Mostly the party was a mix of strange couch conversation and loud porch conversations. Anyway, the party ended around the time when The Great Archivist played a Bach record and everyone skidded for the door. Then he and Chuck started thinking about putting on clown makeup and heading to the Quarry. It is unclear why they didn't follow up with that plan.

JCrew informed me on Sunday that she had frosting all over the inside of her purse from when she tried to smuggle out some loot.


Anyway: Here is what I ate, watched and read this past week. And next week: You can bet your sweet ass that things go back to light on sugar, heavy on things plucked from the lawn. As we speak, Chuck is juicing me up a bunch of carrots and an apple.

FOOD TAKEN IN PUBLIC
Caprese Benedict: The last time we were in LA I busted out of Cath's apartment, which had felled its occupants with hangover symptoms, and made for a brunch spot by myself. I ended up eating this super good something that was like eggs benedict, but had a red wine sauce instead of hollendaise. I haven't tried to replicate it, but this was a pretty kick ass take on it from Duluth Grill. It's two lightly basted eggs, a slice of tomato, a slice of moz, then topped with balsamic vinaigrette. On a bagel. It was 90 percent awesome. The bagel didn't do much for me. But I will make this at home.

FOOD MADE BY CHUCK

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Baby Bok Choy with Crispy Shallots and Sesame Seeds: Chuck made these two things for dinner a few nights ago, an event I like to call "The night Chuck made me starve for dinner." All of this was really good, but it wasn't enough to count as a meal and so I went apeshit on a bunch of Granola afterward.

MOVING PICTURES ON A SCREEN
Treme: The Complete First Season: Just started watching this HBO series about post-Katrina New Orleans. So far, so good.

Strictly BallroomLatrell and I watched this kinda mockumentary kinda narrative about a ballroom dancer trying to cut loose from the steps recognized by the official ballroom dance judges. Cute.

BOOKS
My Most Secret Desire

3 comments:

Futbol said...

bach at a party? to think that i was forced to listen to "we built this city" and "just a proctor girl / living in a lonely world" on repeat.

Christa said...

Chuck noted that one time he tried to get people to leave by playing "Boogie in Your Butt" by Eddie Murphy. Instead everyone just danced harder.

Futbol said...

how could they not.