Thursday, December 23, 2010

How I spent the time I was going to spend cleaning the refrigerator ...

Whoa, bitches. Here's an approximation of how I've spent the past month -- kitchen, book, and movie-wise. As long as we're all here together, gathered all cozy-like with our silk soy egg nog, I'm just going to warn you that I might start a new project called "Infinite Fridays," in which I get a weekly case of the howling fantods over this ridiculous book I'm married to for the next fraction of my life. It seems a damn shame to keep all these dog-eared pages and supplemental links to myself. And since I rarely make internet sentences anymore anyway, why the hell not further alienate myself? I think that's what DF-Dubs would want.

I have other big ideas, too. 

Clears throat.

Oh! But first a picture Ma Pista clearly did not want me to take: Here she is nursing a bum ankle during last weekend's pre-Christa-mas Christa-mas celebration at Brother and Sister-in-Law Pista's place in the greater metro area. It seems that Ma Pista got her wheel caught in the front door, and was chillaxing with a cold pack when I got there. You'll see that one thing we have in common is putting our Best Face Forward when eyeball to eyeball with a picture-making machine. Cheers!


FOODIES


Golden Turmeric Latkes with Applesauce: These have a little bit of zip, and the applesauce has a lotta bit of zing. I'm a huge fan of latkes, and these were probably the best I've made. It might be the hot peppers. It might be the fact that I didn't create a cement of potato paste and have to throw away an expensive kitchen appliance in disgust


French Onion Beef Tenderloin: Now I'm just showing off. Huh, meat. This is actually super good. It's a bit of steak, but has all that French Onion Soup love without that pesky chin drip. And cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. (Not responsible for your inevitable meat sweats).

Chilean Corn and Un-Turkey Chowder: You know, I liked this. I don't remember a lick about it. But I always like soup-ish things. And avocado is awesome. I know I got the recipe from Vegetarian Times, and I know it calls for Un-Turkey. I think I used sausage instead. Oh, snap, VT, I de-Vegetarianized yo 'cipe.


Chocolate Mint Surprise Cupcakes: Made these intricate little fuckers for Chuck's birthday. Holy cats they were delish, agonizing recipe debacles aside. Okay: You take a bite of what seems to be a normal vanilla cupcake. Except inside there is this awesome dollop of green minty goodness! Paired with the Chocolate Ganache Icing ... eating four sticks of butter never tasted so good!

Red Lentil Thai Chili: Duuuuude. I made this last night and it was so, so, good. It's a spicy sort of thing, if you're into that. I learned something exciting about coconut milk, but I'd rather leave some things a mystery. So make this one, vegan faces. And non-vegan faces alike.


MOVIES
(These get brief mentions because typing is exhausting)

The Kids Are All Right: It's good.

I'm Still Here: Can I just say what no one is saying in the post-release world? Meh. And you know I love the Phoenixes. I just liked this movie way more before I saw it.

Hellraiser:  I would like to thank the evil mind of Clive Barker for developing this hokey piece of awesome body horror.

The Extra Man: I'm coming closer to a theory on Jonathan Ames, and it is this: Jonathan Ames equals excellent when his words appear in tandem with moving pictures on a screen. In something that requires book glue, he's more of a dud. Subject to change. But this movie was pretty damn funny.  

BOOKS
You Lost Me There by Rosecrans Baldwin: Starts strong, but totally dives into a slow trudge through nothingness. Review here.

The Impostor's Daughter: A True Memoir by Laurie Sandell: Such an intriguing story, unfortunately told in the wrong format I think. Someone give this lady a do-over. Review here.

The Best American Comics edited by Neil Gaiman: A good primer for a figuring out what one digs and does not dig in the world of comics. Review here.


Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote: I'd never read it, and needed something to jack me back into word mode. It did the trick. Review here.

The Extra Man: A Novel by Jonathan Ames: Sexually confused New York newbie with an eccentric older roommate who works as an extra man for the elderly high class ladies. It is okay. Not as good as the movie. See above. Review here.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman: Such a fun, fun, book of almost sci/fi slash super sci/fi moderness. Cute. Review here.

By Nightfall: A Novel by Michael Cunningham: A lovely, lovely book. A coming-of-middle age story about want and authenticity and a bunch of other stuff. Review here.


No comments: