Monday, November 15, 2010

Dinosaur meat ...

Big week last week. I started my new series: Pop Culture Curiosities, wherein I investigate things I feel like I should know about but don't know about. So far it has been pretty week sauce -- lots of playing catch up with fast food menus, including the Double Down, the McRib, and energy drinks. I gotta couple doozies this week. Both promise to be so painful that I might just abandon the project.

Also: I finally dropped my iPhone into the toilet. I suspect my subconscious had a hand in it. I'd had that phone through two iPhone upgrades and mine was starting to taste like dinosaur meat.There wasn't even a video camera, yo. Now I can take a higher quality of shitty photographs. I can't stop staring at it. The screen is so pretty.

In other news, here is what I've been watching and reading. 


TV
Bored to Death: The Complete First Season: New favorite show. Now, like everyone else in the world, I'm addicted to Zach Galifianakis.



MOVIES
En La CamaThis is a naked foreign take on the "Before Sunrise" concept. These strangers meet at a party, and the movie opens with some Olympic caliber skin gymnastics. Then they slowly get to know each other, seemingly going through the entire stages of a relationship in less than 24 hours.It's a little dull and a lot hot.

BOOKS
Zeitoun (Vintage) by Dave Eggers: Over the course of the 300-plus pages of Dave Eggers’ journalistic narrative Zeitoun, the leading lad of one of my favorite self-indulgent, albeit delightful, memoirs became more than the guy who was almost on “The Real World: San Francisco.” Mind blown. Imagine having this ability to write, a mix of ambition plus passion, and an established name as a check to float while changing the entire world.


The Hellbound Heart: A Novel by Clive Barker: Where was my head? I spent the Halloween season searching for the ghostly and gruesome without ever once considering the work of Clive Barker. Then, one night, we landed on the Sy/Fy Channel in time to catch a wonderfully gross movie based on one of his short stories. Eyeballs popped out of heads. A meat hook blow was delivered to a crotch. Bodies were hung and bled like sides of beef. I cackled and gagged. Sometimes simultaneously. And then cracked into Barker’s The Hellbound Heart, the horror novella behind the Hellraiser series.

Full review for both here.

No comments: