Monday, October 4, 2010

Adderall steam tent ...

I spent all but about an hour and a half of this past weekend in pajama-like pants and a sweatshirt, reading a Stephen King novel. Poor Toonses is in his final hours on the planet, and I'm a real downer right now. I'm not sure how people deal with things bigger than the death of a cat. Or, what I imagine is even worse, those hours leading up to it when he is so confused, can't walk in a straight line, and is unwilling to even eat. This is pretty brutal.

Distraction helps. I think the Top Chef spin-off "Just Desserts" might be the most amazing piece of dramatic television next to "Jersey Shore." There is a character with a mysterious forehead boil? And a Marky Mark lookalike who melted down over Atomic Fireballs, and possibly sleeps in an Adderall steam tent. Bravo, Bravo.

So: Here's what I did this past week.

FOOD 

Spicy Tempeh and Broccoli Raab with Rotelle: I am madly in love with the cookbook Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. I've made like five things from it, and all five were good and the only dud was a decent dud and only a dud in comparison. I'll probably just end yakking about this book forever, so get used to it. It's my new insufferably thing of the month.

But the important thing is that this is good. I didn't necessarily have doubts about it -- but I wanted to do something with tempeh. It definitely overachieved.

Okay. So, chunks of tempeh are steamed with tomato paste, veggie broth, soy sauce, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and fennel. Then it all gets fried up, and sort of gets this Italian sausage taste to it. Add it to some pasta, then I added some garlic and some Swiss shard that I wilted with white wine. Gah. So good.

And look! It's our lucky day. Someone posted the recipe for you. Thanks, stranger.

MOVIES
Kick-Ass: Whoa. Whoever edited the trailer for this movie did it a great disservice. I was luke-warm on seeing it, but holy shittake. Fantastic. It's like Kill Bill meets one of my favorite books of aught nine "Beat the Reaper" by Peter Bazell. Not to mention that this is Nic Cage's finest moment since "Peggy Sue Got Married." The writing is awesome. The death-by-microwave scene is deliciously graphic, and the tween playing the part of Hit Girl is this parkour-licious slice of awesome. This is a movie I wish I'd written.


BOOKS
Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain: This rock and roll food writer is possibly one of the greatest writers of our time. Unfortunately, this collection is a scattered mix of material that leans from awesome to meh -- sometimes in the same chapter.

Full review here.

2 comments:

Sproactually said...

I'm so sorry about to hear about Toonses,

Kelli said...

1. My condolences, Christa.

2. Your take on Kickass is exactly mine, to a T, including the Peggy Sue Got Married comment.