Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Greetings, Earthlings ...


This is my friend Radzamataz. She claims to be a loyal reader of this here site. Last week she helped Chuck and I decide what to have for dinner via Facebook, and was really supportive of our decision to get Hugo's Pizza. Hi, Radzo!

***

When I was in elementary school, my friend Bets and I found a black and white photograph in the back of Teen Beat magazine of a man named Hank with floppy brown hair and acne, one of those misguided "I'll wear a suit for picture day" souls who was 16 and looking for a pen pal. He had a lot of interests that were pretty dorky, but probably not stuff I'd find dorky now.

We decided to send him a letter. All I remember is that we opened with "Greetings Earthling" because we thought it would make him fall in love with our fictitious letter writer.

By the time we heard back from him, we'd both matured enough to know that this was really a mean trick.

***

NOTE: Also, see that skinny little thing on the right side of the screen? That's where I keep recommendations of movies, music and books that I like. Like, REALLY like. And if you are lucky enough to have the exact same taste as me, you'll like them, too. 

***

Anyway, Greetings, Earthlings. This is what I did this past week when I wasn't schlepping my dogs around Millenium Park and hosing down the 22 year old boys who were gaga for Ma Pista.


FUDE
[There would be a photo here, but I deleted it in an aggressive attack of my cell phone photos. It was the best photograph I'd ever taken. Serio.]
Thai Drunken Noodles: This was ... not even close to what I wanted -- which was a replica of what they make at Thai Krathong -- but it was okay. I'm on the right path, and this one made my nose gush, which is one of the joys of drunken noodles. I'll keep trying.


Red Quinoa with Beets, Avocado, Pistachios: This seemed more effort than it was worth, but that is just because it takes forever to roast the beets and by then I'd eaten enough crackers and cheese to render the meal worthless. So it comes out as a bed of arugula, arguably my favorite green, a few scoops of quinoa, a dollop of a sort of guacamole combo, covered in diced beets. Pretty. Tasty. My hands looked "CSI: Farmer's Market" when I was done; no beeturia. Can't win them all.

FLICKS
Up (Single Disc Widescreen): Oh my Gah. Talk about a toughie. I guess this counts as the first time I cried over the death of something animated. Aside from the wrenching start to the movie, the rest of it is only super good when the characters are in the air. When they are on land ... snooze.

RRRRREADIN'
The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni: This isn't the most eloquent thing I've ever said about a book, but holy schmoly "The House of Tomorrow" by Peter Bognanni is just so freakin' cool.

Full review will be here, but other peeps have already raved about it there. What the hell. Why not browse anyway. Best. Site. Ever.


No comments: