Monday, April 5, 2010

Blah blah blah. Food. Books. Movies. 

TOM FOODERY


Tortellini Primavera:This is one of those so-cheap-why-are-you-eating-at-Subway meals. And it took about 20 minutes to make. Oh, and it was good. But it wasn't hard and I used frozen vegetables and a package of tortellini, so I felt like I was cheating. But I did mix flour and veggie broth to make a sauce, so I guess it took a bit of muscle.





Thai Tofu Stir-Fry with Spicy Peanut Sauce: Well, well, well ... take my vegetables and dump peanut butter on them. Why the heck not? I used baby corn cobs because they're adorable, water chestnuts because I couldn't remember if I liked them, snow peas because they're delicious, and red pepper because I always use red pepper. The sauce is a witches brew: peanut butter, water, sherry, soy sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar. This was pretty damn good.

FLICKS
The Men Who Stare At Goats: I swear I had my eyes on this film the entire movie, but I cannot tell you one thing that happened. But watching it was fun.

Brothers: There is a scene when Tobey Maguire returns from a stint as a POW and he's standing in front of the mirror with back lesions, and bones that jut like a xylophone and I thought: "Was this really worth it, Tobes?" A glorified Lifetime Original Movie, and you ate like ... what ... dry tuna fish and apples -- the Christian Bale diet -- to get down to a cool 110 pounds? On the other hand, Jake Gyllenhaal looks nice with a neck tattoo.

Paper Heart: Hm. The bizarre mating ritual of two seemingly A-sexual people.If I had never seen this movie, I would never believe that Michael Cera had ever kissed a girl. He's such a  ... cousinly sort. This film strikes me as a homework assignment someone started late, panicked about, then turned it into something quirky to distract people from the lack of planning.

TV MARATHON
Weeds: Season Five: Mary-Louise Parker is so damn cool. 


READING
The Tale of Halcyon Crane: A Novel by Wendy Webb: This is what reading is supposed to be like: A story that comes across so well, so seamlessly that it is like a brain movie, that reminds you of the first books that kidnapped your attention. The kind where the bookmark is still warm when you reopen it. 

Full review will be here

Imperfect Birds: A Novel by Anne Lamott: Characters in Anne Lamott's novels say things like this:

"To begin with, you need to tell me all of your unsaids, Elizabeth. They're killing us. You've been using your sincereness in counterfeit ways."

And that's not even the Mother Earth character. Because there is always a Mother Earth character, a spiritual hippie with a warm aura and a soft lap whose words are a higher grade of fortune cookie wisdom. 


Full review will be here, too. 


1 comment:

Sproactually said...

The Men who stare at goats? What kind of neighborhood did you move to?