Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The questions ...

More fun than actually sitting down and starting to write the novel in my head, is interviewing myself about the finished product, in my head.

Q: Where did that opening scene come from? It was so ...
A: Horrifyingly awesome? I know. I wanted something equal parts gruesome and hilarious. I considered asking a friend who is a former EMT for a highlight reel of some of the whackest toilet-seat heart attacks and antifreeze overdoses he could remember. Instead I just watched a bunch of clips of "Tom & Jerry" on Hulu, and that gave me plenty of inspiration. I was looking for an opening that would make readers laugh and barf at the same time.

4 comments:

Mach1 said...

Things I Do Not Understand About You:

1.)Keeping Up With The Kardashians/The Hills/One Tree Hill.
2.)Your aversion to mushrooms.
3.)Your enthusiasm for gore.

Krupskaya said...

I do the same exact thing. I mean, with the interviews in my head about the book I've written. In my head.

Heidi said...

My favorite part of your book was the "blood sausage" chapter.

chuck said...

Don't worry, Mach1, if there's gore in a book you're reading, you can't actually get any on you.