Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hip hip souffle! ...

This past week I learned the awesome power of a sauna. Parts of my body that I didn't know could sweat were totally drooling. When I left the sauna, I could smell stuff that happened a week ago. I felt like I was floating. I smiled at strangers. I would have pet puppies.

There will be more saunas in 2010.

In other news: Here are the foods, books, TV, and movies of the past week. Is it just me, or did we watch a heckuva lot of tube in the past 168 hours?



FOODS
Kitchari with Cauliflower and Peas: This one was billed by VT as being the consistency of risotto, which is exactly what sold me. Chuck likes mushy foods; I like warm foods with a cauliflower base.

This was win-win. It was totally good with a subtle Indian seasoning to it. Mushy, warm, requiring a salt lick to up the flavor potential. I'd make it again.

Spinach Souffle: Yes, my mom got me "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" for Christmas. It wasn't something I necessarily wanted (Why bother? It's not like I can redo with it what has already been done. It is just an entire book filled with an idea I didn't have. Not to mention my reluctance to cook meat ...) But the truth is, there are things I want to try in this two-volume collection.

So I made a Spinach Souffle, which I granted a higher level of difficulty than it actually requires. The next one will be easy peasy.

"Was it good?" My mom asked me on Sunday.

"What do you think?" I answered. "It had 3 tablespoons of butter, a cup of Swiss cheese, whole milk, and 4 and a half eggs."

NOTE: If I'm going to continue making recipes from this particular recipe book on Saturday nights, we are going to have to start calling it Faturday.

NOTE II: I know that isn't a souffle pan.



Hearty Chili Mac:  This Vegan recipe is a lot like hamburger helper, but with fake meat. I thought this was pretty good and hearty and wintery, but I would make some changes to the recipe if I made it again. For one thing, I'd brown the fake meat, and add chili power do that before going straight into the boiling phase. Of course, as with all Vegan foods made here, I immediately deveganized it with shredded cheese. Ooops.

On that note, I can't remember how I off-roaded to this Web site, but I'll probably be taking a bunch of the recipes from here for a test spin in the upcoming months.

BOOKS
A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore: Lorrie Moore's "A Gate at the Stairs" falls into that tricky category of just-North-of-good -- a gray area that I struggle to write reasonable sentences about. When it comes to me, a blank page and a blinking cursor, I prefer to hate something or want to roll naked in a meadow with it, rather than just thinking it is pretty good.

Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem: "Chronic City" is a doozy with some really crazy writing that left my jaw unhinged. It has thick, wordy sentences that are so visual. It also has rabid rants that require holding onto a railing to navigate. Mostly it is a really fantastic stroll through a world that is familiar, and just left of familiar.

TV MARATHON
United States of Tara: Season One: The mouths on these characters! I totally recommend this Showtime show featuring tons of characters played by fewer actors.

MOVIES
Inglorious Bastards : WWII fan-fiction. Pretty damn good.

Trucker Oh yeah. Movies can make you cry. I totally forgot. This one is about a sassy lady truck driver who's exhusband gets sick leaving her in charge of their 11-year-old son. This puts a bit of a crimp in her truck stop antics. They learn to love.

The Republic of Love: Better than a lot of rom-coms -- probably because it is Canadian -- but not as good as the book by Carol Shields.

Doubt: This one's a reeeeeaaaaaal thinker. Did Philip Seymour Hoffman's version of a Catholic priest molest the boy or not? YOU decide. Opinions on who did what were split at this house.

Deadline: Brittany Murphy stars as an anemic whack job writer who wanders around a big old house getting all freaked out about disembodied voices and bumps in the night. This is all time that would be better spent brushing her hair.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

I have both of those books in my to be read pile, but haven't cracked them because I'm afraid. I have a love-hate relationship with Lethem and Chronic City my push me over the edge either way.

And Moore, I'm just afraid of that one.

Mach1 said...

I am trying to imagine how you'd include half an egg in a recipe - beat it so it's blended and then just use half the resulting yolk-white blend?

Also, "I want to roll around naked in a meadow with it" will be my new way I saying I like something. It's not stealing if I tell you in advance!

Wahkonamama said...

I have a Finnish friend who saunas every other day. Her skin is amazing. Peaches and cream flawless. She east a wholly processed foods diet and smokes a pack a day, so I'm thinking it must be the sauna.

CDP said...

I love the new look, especially the picture! I felt pretty strongly that the priest was guilty, but I was jaw-dropping shocked at the ending (Doubt, that is).

Charm City Barfly said...

LOVED Inglourious Basterds. LOVED it.

I have been meaning to watch Doubt for a while but haven't been in the mood for a "A child may or may not have been molested" sort of movie. Then again, when are you ever in the mood for that sort of movie? It's on On Demand now so I really should sit down and watch it.

Meg Kathleen said...

I spent the last week watching United States of Tara too - I was also a fan. Really the writing made it good.

dd0031 said...

I totally got the 2-volume set for Christmas, too.

Craig said...

You just NOW got around to watching 'Doubt?' What a captivating story. I'm certain he did it. (might not've, though).