I find myself saying "We weren't allowed to [fill in the blank]" under odd circumstances. Most recently, "We weren't allowed to have a basketball hoop that was not regulation height." If you had asked me at age 10 to tell you about my parents, I would have said they were strict.
A brief list of things we were not allowed to do when we were growing up"
1. Watch "Dukes of Hazard."
2. Have a basketball hoop that wasn't regulation height.
3. Watch MTV.
4. Hang out behind gas stations, elementary schools, or at the mall. The phrase "hang out" was pretty much a deal breaker. "Why are you going to the mall?" "To shop," was fine. "To hang out" was a no-go.
5. Wear Vans.
6. Be a Punk Rocker for Halloween
7. Wear dangle earrings.
8. Wear dark nail polish.
9. Own "Like a Virgin" or "Purple Rain."
10. Eat sugar cereals.
11. To have a pen pal who was a stranger, or otherwise give out our address and/or phone number.
12. Miss an incredibly stifling curfew by even more than 30 seconds.
13. See R-rated movies.
14. Say the word "sucks."
At the time, I thought the whole thing was pretty abusive.