Saturday, November 15, 2008

phoning it in ...

today, exasperated with at&t and the impossibility of navigating their web site to pay my bill and the bonus security code they added to my account, i finally had to call the 800 number and read my credit card number.

sensing my frustration, they waived the five dollar payment they charge for taking the information by phone. when i asked how much my bill was, they couldn't tell me because i didn't know this fictitious security code that somehow landed on my account. and to get the additional security code removed, i have to take two forms of ID to an at&t store.

that's worse than actually buying stamps.

my big questions for the manager were:
1) why would someone hack in and pay my bill for me? and if they wanted to do so, why would i make it harder for them to do so?
2) do you, at&t, actually want me to pay my bill? because with this level of difficulty it doesn't seem like you do.

after all was said and done i finally just said:

FINE. THEN PUT MY NAME ON A LIST OF PEOPLE WHO THINK YOU GUYS ARE STUPID!

i'm claiming a win.

3 comments:

traci said...

Ha! I always have a hard time paying my bill online, too. Either I or the site forget my password so they have to send it to my phone and then change it once I log in. I have to do this EVERY TIME.

Kristabella said...

I just switched to AT&T and I was setting up my online account and they had the most random security questions. I'm never going to remember the name of my favorite teacher or the furthest I've ever traveled. Because I am stupid and these things probably change daily.

And what's with all the questions about spouses? Some of us aren't married, AT&T!

Beverly said...

If you'd asked me, I wouldn't have been sure AT&T was still a company.