Tuesday, February 12, 2008

watching my stories ...

i have decided to start watching a yet-to-be determined soap opera. a five days a week, cliff hanger hating, thumbing through soap opera digest at the grocery store soap opera watcher.

mostly i just want to see how long it takes me to get roped into the plot: where i character name-drop in casual conversation and get the shakes on the weekends. how long until i consider driving to the mall of america to meet some character who is signing autographs while he drips makeup onto a card table near wet seal?

the soap opera cannot be "days of our lives." i did the whole 'marlena and the exorcism' of the mid-90s; it can't be "the young and the restless" because that's what i watched in kindergarten; it can't be "passions" because theresa, ethan and gwen upset my delicate equilibrium. their piercing voices measure on richter scales.

in preparation for my new hobby, i read some soap opera summaries, and one made mention of a text message killer. that sounds like it could hold my attention through five hours and 36 tampax commercials a week. but i'm open to suggestion.

what soap should i start sending fan mail to? [please feel free to include juicy plot points that may interest me.]

7 comments:

L Sass said...

I've been following Days when the mood strikes since the early 90s. It's crap, but I manage my expectations.

My roommate watches All My Children. I feel like Susan Lucci is a classic.

Whiskeymarie said...

I like to keep them on in the background while I'm puttering around the house in the afternoon.
I'm not sure which ones I had on, but there seemed to be one plot line involving sorority girls, frat boys and their wacky hijinx that sucked me in for about 34 seconds one day.

I used to spend every summer break in high school getting "caught up" on the soaps. I remember when Rick Springfield was on GH, so maybe you should watch that, if it's still on.

CDP said...

You could relive the 80s for me and watch General Hospital. I had choir practice 3 days a week after school, so I had to rely on my sister for recaps on the days I missed it. I'm guessing that Luke and Laura are grandparents now, and he's probably a corporate executive or member of Congress.

nanners said...

General Hospital, duh. Although the text message killer plot is lame. really lame. and they keep killing lovely actresses. but sonny corinthos is delicious, and they just brought sarah brown back, but not as carly. it's getting good anyway.

-R- said...

I had two guy friends in college that were obsessed with The Bold and the Beautiful. And the guys were even straight. It was weird. So maybe you should try that one. Maybe it has a lot of nudity or something.

Clare said...

It looks like the tide is turning toward General Hospital, but I'm throwing in a vote for Guiding Light for the hell of it, simply because that's the one my friend Danielle covers at Soap Opera Digest. It's always good to know someone on the inside, right?

Laurie said...

I second Bold and the Beautiful. Plus I think it's only a half hour. Which may actually be a strike against it in your book!