Thursday, November 8, 2007

the day the yeast died ...



by the time i realized i'd murdered an envelope full of yeast, i was too far into the breadmaking process to turn back. i suspected something had happened when my ingredients didn't foam, like it said they would in the recipe.

then the product did not double in size.
then it didn't double in size again.

then chuck told me that "warm" milk means "not cold" milk. not "heat it up on the stove for a few minutes before using." so, defeated, i flattened the sucker against a pizza stone and made cheddar and black pepper flatbread, instead. tuning out the wee squeals of baby yeasts being scorched to death.

those suckers never stood a chance.

in other news, i made a really awesome pumpkin soup. i actually relished burping it up later, just for that quick, nostalgic explosion of flavor.

7 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

Sigh. If only some of my students would remember this when baking bread. I still have at least one every semester that uses boiling water, thinking that if warm water is good, really hot water must be great.
Not so much.
How was the flatbread?

chuck said...

I'd like to say that despite its flatness, and despite the awfulness of that picture, the bread was mighty good. At first, I was like ... this is pretty good for cardboard. But after a few bites, I realized it had a nice texture and was pretty delicious. I ate two big chunks.

ceecee said...

Every few months I get the urge to try and make bread and pretend that this time isn't going to be a total yeast massacre like the last time. And then I call up my sister, who brings yeast death upon the yeasty masses herself, and we commiserate. Seriously, we mourn for the yeasticles.

CDP said...

It doesn't look bad at all. I hope that the PEBVM (People for the Ethical Treatment of Bacteria, Viruses and other Microbes) don't come down too hard on you.

eclectic_poly_pair said...

the milk is best at 105f and add a dash of sugar to feed the yeast-

L Sass said...

Can you please post your pumpkin soup recipe? I need myself some gourd-y goodness!

christina said...

i actually found it on this blog