Wednesday, October 10, 2007

i'm a cutter ...



i am in creepy stalker love with the pier one cutting board i got for my birthday. i could whittle away the mount royal produce department on this sucker. i tried to touch it as much as possible on monday, first chopping the contents of my refrigerator in half, throwing it into a bowl and topping it with seeds of change italian vinegarette, then breaking out in a separation anxiety rash when i had to move away from the cutting board.

later, i made gnocchi for an excuse to give the cutting board a floury handed rub down. this gnocchi-making may be my favorite thing i've created so far in this whole learning-to-cook part of my on-going personal evolution. first of all, hand mashing potatoes is a good way to distract yourself while season four of the OC drones on in the background, deviating so far off course that it begins to resemble passions.

plus, if you are proned to globs of hubris, i got to press my own little knuckle print into each tiny nose-sized piece of potato pasta. i hope cooking never becomes less fun than this. i'd hate to imagine a world where i make something that i don't brag about.

[i didn't take a photo of the gnocchi. it tasted better than it looked. apparently i'm not a gnocchi artist. but look at that salad! weee!]

2 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm seriously impressed that you made gnocchi- good job! I have students that should know better that still can't make decent gnocchi.
I'd like to say you missed your calling in life, but if you couldn't ever bear making anything that you weren't proud of, well...
that pretty much happens all the time in my line o'work.

L Sass said...

So awesome. I'm a major gnocchi lover, but I've never attempted it myself. Now I have to try!